Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Rod and Reel Cleaning Ritual

I made some videos awhile back of my rod and reel cleaning ritual after a day of fishing. I figure since I was going to clean my rods and reels that day, why not make a video about it and share it with my fellow anglers. Just to be clear, I'm not saying that this is the absolute and only way of cleaning your rod and reels. I'm no expert. This is just my way of doing it, and like you, I've picked up a few tips from other seasoned anglers and applied it,  What's important is to properly clean and maintain your gears to ensure many years of dependable service.  Especially when you're out there and hooked to a fish on your wish list, the last thing you want to happen is gear failure due to corrosion. The videos feature spinning rod and reels. It's just that I'm more of a spinning gear angler. But I think you can pretty much apply some of the procedures here to conventional  reels. The lubricants I used here might not be readily available where you're located.  Worst case is you live in a remote area where there's not a single tackle shop, and the cost of shipping will cost significantly more than the cost of the lubricants. If there are car shops or automotive shops in your area, my advice is to get some synthetic motor oil to wipe down and lube your reels, and synthetic automotive bearing grease to grease your reels and drag washers. Choose the lowest viscosity synthetic oil you can find like Mobile 1 0W-20.  Hey, if it could protect Formula 1 engines at extreme temps and pressures, protecting fishing reels is a piece of cake.  Hope this helps and fish on bros!


                                         Materials Used
 

                                          Cleaning and lubing reels

                                          Cleaning rods

No comments:

Post a Comment