Sunday, December 23, 2012

Rockcod Fishing Part II

A die-hard angler friend of mine was visiting his family in San Diego.  He called me up and asked if I could set him up with a day of fishing.  I told him that it would be pretty much bottom fishing for rockcod since the tuna had moved further south beyond the reach of a day trip.  He said he's cool with that.  So I setup a day trip with Seasons Sportfishing fishing for rockcod.  I brought along the usual rockcod tackle-- torpedo sinkers, B2 squid, hoochie skirts, and rockcod fly hooks.  The area we were fishing was deep, full of structures, and caves.  I first dropped a B2 squid rigged with a 12oz torpedo sinker with two assist hooks at the bottom.   On my first drop I got snagged and lost it.  We decided to switch to dropper looped hooks, hoochies, and flies.  It was windy most of the day and the current was strong.  Because of the fast drift, you only have a small window to get your rig down to the spot.  Get it down to the spot and you're guaranteed to get bit by a lunker.   This required heavy torpedo sinker up to 16oz.  The conditions also necessitated constant resetting and repositioning of the boat, which equates to more cranking.  Yup, alot of hard work!   To sum it up, despite the conditions, it was still a day of productive fishing.  I hauled my PB salmon grouper, while my friend hooked his first Lingcod.  Yup, he hooked the only two lings of the trip.  Lucky dude!  Thanks to our captain, Jamie, who knew how to position the boat for a perfect drift.

My friend Ayi with some of his hookups:



Some pics of my hookups.   The second pic is my PB Salmon Grouper!



As we were heading out, we had the Halibut derby fleet heading out too.


Video of my PB Salmon Grouper.



No comments:

Post a Comment