Sunday, October 26, 2014

Late July 2014 Overnight Offshore Yellowfin Tuna Trip On-board the Voyager

After reading reports of anglers getting into the tuna and yellowtail bite even on ¾ day to overnight trips, I decided to go on an overnight trip on-board the Voyager.  I brought along three setups: Accurate Boss Magnum 665H  lefty loaded with 40lb leader for trolling, Accurate SR20 with 30lb mono leader for medium heavy, and the Van Staal VM150 with 25lbs leader for my light setup.





Plan was to head south and fish mexican waters.  Got the trollers out.  Not even a jig strike the majority of the morning.  I was getting worried.  It might be one of those days!   Todd, the skipper of the Voyager decided to head north in US waters. It turned out to be a very wise decision. Found some small paddies here and there that were holding some yellowtails, and that got my spirits up a bit.  We started metering tuna, we chummed them up, and we started getting bites.  My first tuna hit my light gear setup with 25lb P-Line copolymer leader.  The small Van Staal VM 150 spinning reel was screaming.  Afraid that I might get spooled, I started increasing the drag, and then pop!  I thought the hook pulled off. Instead, the tuna busted my 25lb leader. That must’ve been a bigger model. Sucks!  I grabbed my 30lb outfit, but the sardine was having problems dragging that 30lb leader and I ended up not getting bit. Decided to stick with my light setup and crossed my fingers. Hooked and fought another tuna, this time I got it done!  So for the reminder of the trip, that VM150 and my Major Craft Giant Killing Hiramasa PE 3-6 rod was my hot stick. That small Van Staal VM150 sure can put some hurt on fish.  I love it!  This trip turned out be an awesome overnight trip!  It was fun to share the rail with a bunch of highly motivated anglers, and also made new friends. Todd, the skipper of the Voyager, and his crew did an outstanding job. I sure would fish on that boat again.

Thanks for reading, and hope you liked my report.   Hit the "Join this site" button to subscribe to my blog and keep up with my fishing adventures. Fish on bros!






Some awesome videos I took on this trip. That VM150 is a suweet reel!  The small reel that can!



This one's a feisty rat ninja Yellowtail that eluded the gaff!



2 comments:

  1. sir where is this? can you share contacts of the voyager?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Voyager is out of Seaforth Landing in San Diego California. Here's the link to their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/charterboatvoyager

    ReplyDelete